German-Canadian Young Atlantiks Program
For more than 30 years, Atlantik-Brücke has convened an annual German-Canadian conference to discuss themes of mutual importance for both countries, bringing together leaders from Canada and Germany in a frank exchange and dialogue. The annual conference has become the forum in which to strengthen Germany-Canada relations and intensify the exchange between business, civil society and politics on a multi-partisan basis. The Young Atlantiks Program promotes the “next generation” of German-Canadian transatlantic partnership, and is now in its fourth year. Alumni of the Young Atlantiks program will remain active in the Atlantik-Brücke and Atlantik-Brücke Canada network.
Bringing together a selected group of young Canadian and German participants, the group will convene for five days to exchange and engage on current and future challenges on both sides of the Atlantic. In addition, the delegation will attend the main German-Canadian Conference taking place in Berlin from May 12-13, 2024. Topics of discussion will include security policy and changing geopolitical realities, energy and the environment and technology’s impact on politics, the economy and society.
When: May 11-15, 2024
Participants: Canadian and German citizens between 28 and 35 years of age
Application deadline: March 3, 2024
- Up to 10 participants (German, Canadian, gender-balanced)
- Delegates will be required to participate in five days of in-person program in Berlin, Germany:
Arrival on Saturday May 11, 2024 / Departure on Wednesday May 15, 2024
- The program entails meetings and discussions with senior decision-makers, academics, and business leaders from various sectors; a cultural and social program are also planned (i.e. visits to museums, site visits and memorials)
- English will be the primary language used throughout
- Participants are invited to attend the annual German-Canadian Conference
Successful applicants will:
- Be Canadian or German citizens between the ages of 28 and 35
- Demonstrate leadership in their professional careers
- Show a strong interest in the German-Canadian partnership and in political, economic, and social issues
- Demonstrate willingness to contribute to the Atlantik-Brücke and Atlantik-Brücke Canada network
- Applicants can be from any sector including: business, government, media, military, non-profit, finance, academia or the arts
- Women and gender minorities, as well as people of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply to ensure a diversity of perspectives
- To foster greater understanding of the German-Canadian relationship among the younger generations and to provide them an opportunity to make lasting transatlantic connections
- To learn first-hand about another country’s society, political institutions, history and culture
- To create a young German-Canadian alumni network
- To increase future leaders’ presence in the network of Atlantik-Brücke and Atlantik-Brücke Canada
Participants will receive fixed stipends to support flight/travel costs to Berlin, accommodation, and group meals. Logistical arrangements to/from the conference must be arranged by the individual. Incidentals are the responsibility of the participants.
Dates of Travel:
- Inbound flights to Berlin, Germany on Saturday, 11 May 2024; participants may arrive earlier at their own expense
- Outbound flights from Berlin, Germany on Wednesday, 15 May 2024; participants may extend the trip at their own expense
Deadline for applications is March 3, 2024
- Step 1: Complete the questions contained in the application form.
- Step 2: Upload your CV/résumé on the application form.
- NOTE: All résumés and short-answer question responses must be in English.
Successful applicants will be notified by March 17, 2024.
Note: This program is contingent upon funding. The final number of participants will be determined by the level of financial support received for the program.